Brand India Plantations > TEA > Tea Statistics

Tea Statistics

 

By building on a proud legacy of enterprise that spanned nearly two and a half centuries, India has acquired an exalted status on the global tea map. The country is the second largest tea producer in the world. Interestingly, India is also the world's largest consumer of black tea with the domestic market consuming 911 million kg of tea during 2013-14. India is ranked fourth in terms of tea exports, which reached 232.92 million kg during 2015-16 and were valued at US$ 686.67 million.

The top export markets in volume terms for 2015-16 were Russian Federation (48.23 million kg), Iran (22.13 million kg) and Pakistan (19.37 million kg). In terms of value, the top export markets were Russian Federation (US$ 102.48 million), Iran (US$ 87.39 million) and UK (US$ 62.8 million). All varieties of tea are produced by India. While CTC accounts for around 89 per cent of the production, orthodox/green and instant tea account for the remaining 11 per cent.

Production of tea reached 1,233.14 million kg in 2015-16. Around 1,008.56 million kg was produced in North India and 224.58 million kg was produced in South India.

India has around 563.98 thousand hectares of area under tea production, as per figures for December 2013. Tea production is led by Assam (304.40 thousand hectares), West Bengal (140.44 thousand hectares), Tamil Nadu (69.62 thousand hectares) and Kerala (35.01 thousand hectares). According to estimates, the tea industry is India's second largest employer. It employs over 3.5 million people across some 1,686 estates and 157,504 small holdings; most of them women.

Area under tea cultivation (end-2013) & production in 2013-14

State / Districts

Area under tea ( in Th.Hectares)

Production (Million Kgs)

Assam Valley

270.92

581.03

Cachar

33.48

48.02

Total Assam

304.40

629.05

Darjeeling

17.82

8.91

Dooars

72.92

177.85

Terai

49.70

125.34

Total West Bengal

140.44

312.10

Other North Indian States(Includes Tripura, Uttarakhand, Bihar, Manipur,Sikkim, Arunachal Pradesh, Himachal Pradesh,Nagaland, Meghalaya, Mizoram and Orissa)

12.29

23.92

TOTAL NORTH INDIA

457.13

965.07

Tamil Nadu

69.62

174.71

Kerala

35.01

63.48

Karnataka

2.22

5.52

TOTAL SOUTH INDIA

106.85

243.71

ALL TOTAL

563.98

1208.78


List of top 50 exporters based on last five years
(2010-11, 2011-12, 2012-13, 2013-14 and 2014-15)



Sl. No.

Exporters

1

Mcleod Russel India Limited

2

Bhansali & Co.

3

Girnar Food & Beverages Pvt. Ltd.

4

Limtex (India)Ltd.

5

Ambo Exports Industries Ltd.

6

J.V.Gokal & Co. Pvt. Ltd.

7

Unilever India Exports Limited

8

A.Tosh & Sons (India)Ltd.

9

Jayshree Tea & Industries Ltd

10

Shah Brothers

11

S.S.K.Exports Limited.

12

New Tea Co. Ltd.

13

Madhu Jayanti International Ltd.

14

M.K.Shah Exports Ltd.

15

Apeejay Tea Limited

16

Tata Tetley Pvt.Ltd.

17

Vikrma Impex (P) Ltd.

18

Global Exports Marketing Div. Of Bgh Exim Ltd.

19

Goodricke Group Ltd

20

Harrisons Malayalam Ltd

21

Jfk International

22

L.M.J.International Ltd.

23

Narendra Tea Co.(P).Ltd.

24

Siewert And Dholakia Overseas Private Limited

25

G.A.Randerian Pvt.Ltd.

26

The Bombay Burmah Trading Corpn. Ltd

27

Tea Group Exports

28

Kanan Devan Hills Plantations Co.Pvt.Ltd.

29

Godfrey Phillips India Ltd.

30

Assam Company India Limited

31

Anita Exports

32

Blue Mountain Tea And Commodities Pvt. Ltd.

33

Balaji Agro Pvt.Ltd.

34

Tata Tea Limited

35

Jfk International Ltd.

36

Havukal Tea & Produce Co. Pvt. Ltd.

37

Indian Products Ltd.

38

Asian Tea Company Private Limited

39

The North-Western Cachar Tea Co.Ltd.

40

Chamong Tea Exports Pvt.Ltd.

41

New Tea Exports Private Limited

42

Asian Tea & Exports Ltd.

43

Avt Natural Products Limited

44

Gillanders Arbuthnot & Co. Ltd.

45

AL-Gayathri Trading CO.(P)Ltd.

46

Neelamalai Agro Industries Ltd.

47

Bajaj Enterprise

48

Glenworth Estate Limited

49

Rossell Tea

50

The Coonoor Tea Estates Co.Ltd.

Copyright © 2010-2016 India Brand Equity Foundation

All material, information, data, images or content on this website is subject to copyright or other applicable intellectual property laws and no part of it can be reproduced in any form (including paper or electronic form) without prior written consent and approval from IBEF. Infringements are subject to prosecution under the applicable laws. For consent related queries and conditions,
please write to info.brandindia@ibef.org