India is known for its spicy food and it goes without saying that spicy food is incomplete without Chilli. But Chilli's pungency is not the only reason that Indian people are in love with it; these long, thin, hot pods also hold a range of health benefits.
Health Benefits of Chilli:
- Did you know green chillies have zero calories? Moreover, chillies can also fasten your metabolism to 50 percent for more than three hours after eating.
- Chilli can strengthen you with vitamin C and Vitamin A, which contains beta-carotenoids, a powerful antioxidant. These antioxidants will help you counteract free radical bodies, which may cause damage to nerve and blood vessel. Chillies can also help with cholesterol, heart diseases, atherosclerosis, asthma, cataract, arthritis like osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Capsaicin, the main factor behind Chillie’s pungency, helps to lower body temperature by arousing the cooling focus of the hypothalamus in the brain.
- Chillies are also considered effective for healthy eyes, skin and immune system. Presence of Vitamin C and beta-carotene in chillies also help to reduce the risk of colon cancer.
- Stimulating the digestive system, chillies’ dietary fibres can help you to digest your food faster.
- Chillies also help to release the endorphins, the natural painkillers. In the case of pain in shoulders, bursitis, and diabetic neuropathy, chillies can relax your mind. Chillies, which carry capsaicin, will stimulate your brain to release endorphin, leaving behind a sense of pleasure. This is also one of the reasons people are addicted to chilli.
- Chillies vitamin B6 and folic acid will help you decrease the high homocysteine level, which causes damage to blood vessels and increases the chances of heart attack and stroke.
- Chillies are also effective for the lung diseases, giving relief from nasal congestion by increasing the metabolism. Intake of chillies relieves chronic congestion for heavy drinkers. Chillies are also beneficial for cigarette smokers. Cigarette contains benzopyrene, which can effectively destroy vitamin A from your body. However, the vitamin A available in chilli helps to reduce the inflammation of lungs caused by smoking.